Monday, June 6, 2011

May 16, 2011

Buenos dias,

I always say "hola" so I decided to change it up this week. MY LITTLE BROTHER IS A FULL-TIME MISSIONARY!!! I feel so excited every time I think about it. I love you Ben, I mean, ELDER FAGERSTEN!

We had a fantastic week. We had Zone Conference on Tuesday and heard some great workshops, learned a lot, and really felt the Spirit. We talked about the Book of Mormon, commitments, obedience, attitude, agency, faith, and diligence. It was an opportunity to identify those things that I can improve and the things that will help me be a more faithful servant of the Lord, Jesus Christ.


On Sunday, the story of "The Little Engine That Could" was shared during our Priesthood class. That story really touched my heart. I haven't thought about it in years, but when it was shared, it taught me a lot. A while ago, while thinking of the Savior's statement about our faith being able to move mountains, I thought about spiritual mountains we face in our lives - temptation, doubt, fear, a grudge - whatever it might be, and that our faith in the Savior and his atonement can move them. While listening to the story of the "Little Engine That Could," the thought occurred to me that our faith can also move us over the mountain. The little engine that could kept saying, "Creo que puedo," or, "I think I can!" In Spanish, the verb creer means "to think" or "to believe." Faith is to believe, to hope that it is possible. We put our faith in Jesus Christ, but we must also believe in ourselves. You remember the story, that after he had reached the summit and came down the other side, the little engine said, "Sabía que podía", or, "I knew I could!" The little engine had faith from beginning to end. By putting our faith in the Lord we too can put faith in ourselves. "And Christ hath said: If ye will have faith in me ye shall have power to do whatsoever thing is expedient in me" (Moroni 7:33).

I know that the Lord is by our side when we try our best to do what is right. He loves us and appreciates every effort we make to live His gospel. It is amazing to see how His love, His atonement, change lives.

I receive emails sent by Elder Frodsham, and I appreciate his testimony of the atonement of Jesus Christ. I feel the Spirit bear testimony of his words. Elder Frodsham is one of my best friends and he has such an amazing love for the Savior and for the people he is serving.

Jesus Christ lives. He is our light. He is our hope. Our faith in Him will build a foundation for our lives that nothing can shake. One day, we will have the opportunity to thank Him, personally.

Love,
Elder Fagersten

No comments:

Post a Comment