Thursday, May 31, 2012

April 9, 2012

Hola,

What a great week!  On Tuesday we did exchanges with the missionaries in Lorca.  We went there on Tuesday morning for District Meeting and then Elder Card came back here to Huércal with Elder Wright while I stayed with Elder Avellar in Lorca.  Elder Avellar finishes his mission at the end of this transfer, so two of us old goats in the mission had a chance to work together for a little bit.  I enjoyed it a lot and he taught me many important things.  With the passing of time I realize how much more I still need to learn and change and improve, but I also realize how willing the Lord is to help me learn and change and improve.

This week was "Semana Santa" and it is huge in Huércal-Overa.  Not huge in terms of numbers because it's a pretty small town, but huge in the sense of importance.  Elder Card and I went and saw some of it and we felt pretty sure that nearly everyone in the pueblo was part of a procession or saw a procession.  We hadn't seen so many people in one place the whole time that we have served here.

On Sunday, all of the talks given in sacrament meeting focused on the Atonement of the Lord, Jesus Christ.  Each of the speakers prepared well and I felt the Spirit as they taught and testified of the great love of our Heavenly Father and his Only Begotten Son.  During the last two hours of the meetings, we had Sunday School combined, and Priesthood and Relief Society combined as well.  More lessons were taught and testimonies shared of the importance and significance of the Atonement.  I love studying the Atonement, talking, pondering and praying about it.  Because of the restoration of the fullness of the Gospel of Jesus Christ, we can understand not only what Jesus did for us, but why He did it, and how that atoning sacrifice can have full influence and power and application in our lives.  I am grateful for the testimony I have that the words spoken by the angel are true - "He is risen" (Matt. 28: 6).  His atonement gives us the opportunity to return to live with our Heavenly Father in families forever.  It truly is "sweet the joy this sentence gives; I know that my Redeemer lives!"

Love,
Elder Fagersten in Spain

No comments:

Post a Comment